OURBLOC.com Headlines

Monday, September 07, 2009

Rants and Raves: I Have No Sympathy for Geekers


All weekend long, I have tossed and turned over whether or not to write this Rant and Rave, but as you can read I chose to run with the post...here we go...


Last week, Maia Campbell’s strung out pics, videos and details of her arrest set the net a blaze. On Twitter, residents of Twitterville went in enough to make Maia Campbell the #1 trending topic for at least 12-15 hours. Since I LOVE TO STEP ON LANDMINES, I jumped into the conversation, but I actually went in against Ms. Campbell. All this did was make everyone mad at me.



Please understand this piece is not about Maia Campbell, it's about how I feel about individuals in this situation. After 20 minutes of going in, members of Twitter where sending me @ messages calling me insensitive, saying that Maia Campbell is sick and that I was going to hell for saying what I said about her.




*clearing throat* "I HAVE NO SYMPATHY FOR STRUNG OUT DRUG ABUSERS!" 


She's not sick…she has a bad habit, one that she can break if she really wants to break it. She's an adult, so STOP PACIFYING these individuals; all you're doing is adding to the problem.





Here are a few questions I have for everyone:



-          Why do people wait until the last possible moment to try and wean someone off drugs?



-          Why do people want to be Captain Save a Drug Abuser after someone gets into trouble?





-          Why do we call these individuals sick or say they have a sickness? Or say they just can't help themselves, when they are grown adults?



-          When it comes to famous individuals who do things, why do fans navigate to them and show an array of support, but when it comes to the local crack fiend in their hometown, they can't do anything for them? 



Folks it is what it is, yes it's disappointing to see friends, family, random people strung out, but all we can do is say STOP! It's up to them to stop. No one has control over someone else's decision, regardless of what you believe. When they get to GEEKER status, they know it's not good for them, but they choose to chase the high rather than life.


I’m not judging them, I mean we all have our vices regardless if you admit it or not. At the end of the day stop calling them sick or providing them fictional diagnosis' that allow you to cope with their problem.



Call it a habit, Call it a problem, hell call them Career Contributors to their dealer, call them whatever you want to call them. At the end of the day they are ADULTS, and as an adult everyone knows right from wrong. 



What do you think? The 1st Amendment is alive and well here, so feel free to say whatever you want. Post anonymously or put it out there... regardless www.OURBLOC.com is home for your comments. 


Written by: Ran
Email Address: ran@ourbloc.com
Follow Ran on Twitter @rannyran
Live it, Love it, Share it - OURBLOC.com 

No comments: