OURBLOC.com Headlines

Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Student Union: Back To College - A Letter for the Freshmeat I mean Freshmen

It’s the month of August, and you know what that means…yes, it’s back to school season. Even though I am in my third year in college I still get those back to school butterflies like I did when I was younger, but within the college setting it’s a little bit better to adapt to rather than grade school. I have a few words of advice for all my fellow college students out there that may help you along the way this semester. Dear Freshmen, Welcome to your first year in college. DO NOT be alarmed by the things you will encounter during this first semester. Yes, it may seem easy, but oh just wait, temptation is definitely something that will follow you everywhere during your college life. Remember to always stay focused because I’m pretty sure your parents didn’t send you down here to just party away your school or scholarship money. I’m not saying “don’t party”; just don’t make it your mission to go to EVERY party. There is nothing wrong with a night-in actually, from time to time, it’s quite relaxing, try it. To my Shy people out there, stop being shy, matter of fact, throw your shyness out of the window. This is a chance to “re-invent” yourself or step out of your shell. Now don’t try to come to college and get super “brand new” acting like you been the “IT” forever when really you were nothing in high school. Freshmen, please don’t expect an automatic bond will just happen between you and your professors. From jump they will appear tough, but once you get to know them, they may change or they may not; but at least attempt to form a relationship with them. This is not high school so make sure you ALWAYS pay attention to everything they say, every email they send, and every handout they give. Do yourself a favor and buy some type of recorder so you can play back lectures later on. To My Freshman Ladies: Please, Please, Please do not throw yourselves at all the upperclassmen males because IT’S JUST NOT CUTE! Plus, it doesn’t send a good message about yourself to the rest of the campus. If anybody offers you any alcoholic beverages or unknown drugs, “JUST SAY NO!”, I promise you that you can’t handle it. To My Freshman Men: Please, Please, Please do not throw a party on campus in your dorm room the first week of school, because they will KICK YOU OUT! Let me say that again... they will KICK YOU OUT!!! Also, please don’t try and approach upperclassmen females, I mean persistence only worked for Nick Cannon in “Drumline” because that's Hollywood not real life. If they deny you twice just give up because a third time is not a charm; it’s just plain lame. Sincerely, Cee Nicole P.S. Upperclassmen I have a letter for you as well ...

2 comments:

always_inspired said...

This is great material and I certainly hope the readers heed b/c it is so not a game.. College will watch you drown and not lend a helping hand so it's your best bet to go in focused on the degree and not the parties and what not... Good good good!!!

Autty said...

Good Post Cee....BUTTTT can't forget to let them know to trust their instincts. If someone seems skept, or the situation is giving you the wrong feel inside...KEEP IT MOVING! I repeat, Keep it MOVING! It usually is suspect and could possibly ruin the obvious, your education BUT also, your reputation.